Who plays as the opposite sex in video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Phaaze, Sep 30, 2010.

Badger I thought you were a girl, but since you're a gay dude I won't continue this discussion with you since it will turn into one of those discussions.

Well if it's gender locked and if it's for some better abilities then no, but if not, then I completely agree with you.
    I've actually had people give my characters fairy expensive things in ragnarok online just for the hell of it.

My characters are all female.
    I always find it annoying when people remind me how much perceived gender will affect the way people treat me. I often wish I could just be a person, without the need for gender labels. The very idea that my gender matters, bugs me. It's not like real life ever gave me a choice in the matter. I also find the idea that I'm supposed to take pride in what I am regardless of what that is, to be silly.

I wish I could have a genderless or blank avatar on this forum. I'd rather let people come to their own conclusions based on what I have to say, rather than colour their impressions of me before they even read my words.
    I typically don't, but I have made exceptions depending on the character.

My friend often does, he tells me that he often gets the red carpet treatment from other male players if they don't know a guy is playing it yet, hehe.

+++ End of Line +++

That's because 40% of the players that play online games are horny, and expect something back for what you've received.

As for me, I never do it and I generally dislike female players who can't do things on their own, who yell that they're female to get more attention from other player, who feed from internet popularity and never really do anything more. I like girls who are more of a stronger character then that, who want to try things on their own, and who want to try winning something on their own.

As for creating a female character to get more money in-game. I guess that's fun as long as it doesn't pass the "limit", if it does happen and you're enjoying it, then that's plain perverted and you're a male whore XD
    >As for me, I never do it and I generally dislike female players who can't do things on their own, who yell that they're female to get more attention from other player, who feed from internet popularity and never really do anything more. I like girls who are more of a stronger character then that, who want to try things on their own, and who want to try winning something on their own.
    Dude, most girls I know who actually bothered to play rather than be a "SERVE ME" little princesses in videogames would beat my arse 9 times out of 10. And I consider myself at least a decent gamer.

>I always find it annoying when people remind me how much perceived gender will affect the way people treat me.
    Yes. Humans suck.
    For me it definitely depends on the models of the characters. Like for Mass Effect (Haven't played ME2 yet) I played as a female, because all the male characters looked dopey, and the female faces look decent. Also, I will use the Kerrigan Avatar as soon as I get it in Starcraft 2.
    I actually play a female Shepard because Jennifer Hale is the superior voice actor. Meer sounds like he phoned it in a few times.
    I never said they're the majority, I just said I dislike those types of girls :)
    I often play female characters in most any game, generally because I like the look better. More often than not female armor or outfits or whatnot is cooler, I usually prefer the more sleek look as opposed to the bulky look that most make characters tend to have in online games
  11. AgentSmith5150 Beta Commando

Well, if you are female, just use a male avatar. At least as far as this forum is concerned. Don't respond in a thread where some idiot guy says some rude sexual comment about women and gaming, I sometimes see responses like "well I'm a female gamer and [insert deep strong 'girl power' rhetoric here]". Sort of like a don't feed the trolls mantra.

Sucks that one would have to implement things like this to try to be seen as an "equal" but gaming is still male dominated, couple that with the relative anonymity of the WWW, might as well be the 1950's.
    I play a female character just so I don't have to stare at a guy's but for my hours of gaming. =)
  13. AgentSmith5150 Beta Commando

this is the response of probably at least 75% of the guys who say they run female toons.
    And the rest of us wonder what's wrong with you that you're distracted by and staring at a guy's butt all the time. It's invisible to me.

Clearly you're all bi-curious, at least, clearly :p
    It varies, but often I play as female. Right now I have a female Spartan in Halo: Reach. One, to annoy my friends with my death screams, and two, it looks better with my current helmet. But yeah. I'd rather stare at a nice ass through a game.
    >I play a female character just so I don't have to stare at a guy's but for my hours of gaming. =)
    You do understand that you have to look down the crosshair, not on your character's bum.
    Yeah, same here, for the most part. When a game sounds awesome though, and the only "con" is that parts of the game are restricted by character sex, I'll usually at least consider playing it. I don't think I've ever bothered with an MMO that had something like that though.

Borderlands is another game that comes to mind where I found I could live with it. I played as a Soldier online with my friends, but I also made a Siren character later on for single-player, to try out the abilities and stuff.
    Every main is male, as close to myself as I can get him. Every alt, is female, because they are just wonderful to watch and dress up.
    I had no preferences, I play both sides......:)
  20. mouzed Caught in the Crossfire

Depend on the models.

I play with the one that looks more well done.

>)